The price information below is a general indication of costs based on our experience.
We estimate a fixed fee cost is likely to range between £1,500 and £2,750 plus VAT and disbursements* for a straightforward grant of probate and administration of an estate, for estates in England and Wales, where:
- there is no more than one property in the sole name of the deceased
- there are no more than three bank accounts
- there are no other intangible assets
- there are no debts (other than utility bills)
- there is a valid will appointing executors
- there are 1-4 beneficiaries
- there are no disputes between beneficiaries
- there is no inheritance tax payable and there is no requirement to submit a full inheritance tax account IHT400
- there are no claims made against the estate
- there are no other complications
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there is more than one beneficiary, a property and more than one bank account, costs will be at the higher end.
*Disbursements (costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties), such as court fees. We handle the payment of disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
|Office copies for the grant of probate (per copy)||£0.50||none|
|Bankruptcy Search Fee (per Beneficiary)||£1.00|
|Post in the local paper (approximately)||£185||none|
|Post in the London Gazette (approximately)||£66||none|
*Please note that the government has issued proposals to increase fees in the future. We will attempt to make the application for the grant before the fee changes but due to the nature of the process and reliance on third parties this may not be possible.
Please contact us so that we can provide you with an individual quote based on your specific circumstances.
Potential additional costs
The following factors are likely to increase the cost of your matter:
- If there is no will or an unclear will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds), multiple assets, multiple properties and/or multiple beneficiaries there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- Issues relating to property including missing title deeds
- Arranging clearance of the property and preparing for sale
- Transfer of investments and other assets to beneficiaries
- Missing beneficiaries
- Charitable beneficiaries
- Assets abroad
- Not having all of the paperwork available, or having missing or incorrect information that needs investigation and correction
- Higher value estates worth over £1m
- Lifetime gifts
- Claims for Business Property or Agricultural Property Relief
- Claims to transfer the Inheritance Tax Nil Rate Band or Residence Nil Rate Band
- Complex tax issues (including where the estate is taxable)
- Deeds of Variation, disclaimer or renunciation of executor
- DWP investigations or claims against the estate
- Third parties not responding to our communications promptly
- Dealing with unusual or complex assets or items (for example fine art, timeshares, shares in private companies, operating or selling a business etc)
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate (this is not included in the fixed fee cost) we will provide you with a separate cost indication
- Any involvement in litigation or a contested or disputed estate
- Any other duties of an unusual or complex nature
As soon as any complication arises we will discuss these with you and agree the fee for the additional work being carried out in advance of any additional work being undertaken.
Obtaining a grant of representation and dealing with the administration of an estate can be complicated; it can take several months to make sure everything is done properly. At Ellen Fay Solicitors we offer a complete estate administration service to deal with everything for you.
Every estate is different, which is why we encourage you to contact us so we can provide you with an estimate outlining a range of potential fees to make sure that you get the right amount of support to meet your individual circumstances. We will update you regularly on your costs throughout the matter so you can stay in control throughout.
Our Team is has over 28 years of collective experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to wills, probate and estate administration. We have particular expertise in high value estates and inheritance tax matters. Our Team is made up of a chartered legal executive* and qualified solicitors (with 2 to 4 years’ experience). The team is supervised by Ellen Fay who has over 19 years’ experience working in the area of wills, probate and estate administration.
*A chartered legal executive is a regulated legal professional who specialises in a particular area of law, often working alongside solicitors.
For immediate advice you may phone 01772 722373 or you can contact us direct via the website at Probate Solicitors in Preston and we’ll call you back as soon as possible.