People who require care either fund the cost of care themselves (‘Self Funding’) or require assistance from the Local Authority (learn more about Funding for Care) or the National Health Service (the ‘NHS).

NHS Continuing Health Care is a package of care provided by the NHS to meet physical and/or mental health needs which occur due to disability, accident or illness.

If you require social care either in your own home, a care home or a hospice and this is because you have a primary health need, then the NHS has a duty to provide care free of charge. If your primary need is not healthcare, but personal and social care (that is help with meals, bathing and dressing etc) then the Local Authority are likely be responsible for your care rather than the NHS.

If you do not qualify for NHS continuing care funding and you require an element of nursing care you may be entitled to receive a contribution towards the cost of care, known as NHS funded nursing care.

Many people do not receive NHS continuing healthcare funding even though they are eligible. It is often the case that they are not even told about it. If you require full time care or are receiving full time care and have primary health needs then you should be assessed. You should not consider a move into care without an assessment to determine eligibility. The assessment should be carried out before the Local Authority do a means tested assessment.

We can;

  • Guide you through the process step by step
  • Help you to consider your eligibility for care and determine whether an assessment has been carried out
  • Help you to request an assessment
  • Help you to prepare for an assessment
  • We can attend a Primary Care Trust Panel on your behalf
  • We can help you challenge a funding decision

If you have question about NHS Continuing Care Funding or would like us to call you back, then you may contact us via the website at Solicitors in Preston Lancashire.

Living with Disability or

Planning for Later Life

Private Client Services